...But what is wrong with email?
Email is actually a fantastic technology, but is also one of the most absused and poorly used. One of the most common abuses of email is to try to use it as a team management and communication tool. So why is email so terrible for internal communication and team management?
- Email is unsafe - Have you ever emailed the wrong John Smith? What are the consequences of accidentally sending confidential documents externally to the wrong recipient?
- Email reduces productivity - How often do you receive time-wasting emails that are completely unrelated to your actual work?
- Email encourages bad habits - Attaching files is almost never a good way to share information as you immediately loose the ability to manage versions or control access.
- Email is irreversible - Once an email or attachment has been sent, it almost always stays sent.
- Email is distracting - Have you ever felt that you spend more reading and responding to endless emails than your actual job?
- Email is clumsy - Organizing and filtering emails is a primitive and error-prone process that requires continuous effort.
- Email can destroy team spirit - by encouraging back-covering and selfish behaviour due to impersonal communication.
- Email is uncertain - Somebody changes their job and suddenly you have no way to get in touch.